الخميس , يونيو 11 2020

Israel says Hamas kidnapped teens

Seminary students at prayer serviceSeminary students have been praying for the trio’s safe return

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has accused the Palestinian Islamist movement Hamas of kidnapping three Israeli teenagers.

The students went missing on Thursday near an Israeli settlement in the West Bank on their way back from lessons.

Hamas has denied it was involved in their disappearance.

The disappearance is being seen as the biggest strain on relations between the two sides since a Palestinian unity government was announced in April.

“Those who carried out the kidnapping of our youngsters are Hamas people,” Mr Netanyahu said.

Mr Netanyahu pointed to the fact that Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas recently announced a unity government backed by Hamas.



Israel Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu

Please turn on JavaScript. Media requires JavaScript to play.

Benjamin Netanyahu: “Israel will act against the kidnappers”

Israel suspended crisis-hit peace talks with the Palestinians when the government was announced and insists it will not deal with a Palestinian government backed by Hamas.

“Netanyahu’s statements are silly statements,” Hamas spokesman Sami Abu Zuhri said.

“We believe the latest extensive arrests of Hamas leaders, legislators and ministers are aimed at breaking the will of the Hamas movement in the West Bank,” he added.

The Israeli army says it has arrested about 80 Palestinians in the search for the teenagers.

line


Israeli soldiers

Please turn on JavaScript. Media requires JavaScript to play.

Israel has bolstered its army presence, as Quentin Sommerville reports

Analysis: Quentin Sommerville, BBC News, Jerusalem

Israel is gripped by the fate of three teenagers, who were returning from lessons at a seminary when they disappeared.

The suspicion is that they were kidnapped. Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu is certain they were taken by Hamas. The Islamist militant group dismissed the accusation.

Hamas kidnapped Israeli soldier Gilad Shalit in 2006 and held him for five years. As prime minister then, Mr Netanyahu authorised the freeing of more than 1,000 Palestinian prisoners to secure his release.

The fear here is that if the teenagers aren’t found, the situation could escalate significantly. Israel says its forces are standing by for “any possible scenario”. Palestinians say that would amount to collective punishment.

line

Israel says an “intensive operation” is under way to find the two 16-year-olds – Naftali Frenkel, Gilad Shaar – and 19-year-old Eyal Yifrach.

They were last seen in the area of Gush Etzion, a bloc of Jewish settlements located between Jerusalem and the predominantly Palestinian city of Hebron.

Their fate has gripped Israel, with rolling coverage on the main TV channels.

Palestinian officials have said they are co-operating with the search.

Palestinian family watches Israeli soldiers searching for missing teenagers, near Hebron (15 June)Israeli soldiers have been searching for the missing teenagers around Hebron, which has a majority Palestinian population

Israeli soldiers during a military operation to search for three missing teenagers near the West Bank city of HebronIsrael says its forces are standing by for “any possible scenario”

Mr Netanyahu previously said he holds the Palestinian Authority responsible for the teenagers’ wellbeing.

In response, Palestinian officials pointed out that the three went missing in an area under full Israeli control.

In an earlier statement on the operation, the Israeli army pointed to the 2006 kidnapping of Israeli soldier Gilad Shalit and said the three may have been taken to be traded for Palestinian prisoners held by Israel.

Sgt Shalit was freed in 2011 after Israel and Hamas agreed a deal under which more than 1,000 Palestinians were released.

Also on Sunday, the Israeli army said it had conducted aerial raids on the Gaza Strip overnight in retaliation for rockets fired from the Strip into Israel.

A spokesman for Gaza’s health ministry told the Associated Press news agency that a girl had been slightly hurt. The ministry also said a seven-year-old boy had died from injuries sustained in an Israeli raid earlier this week.

شاهد أيضاً

COPTIC SOLIDARITY LAUNCHES URGENT CALL TO END CRIME OF FORCED DISAPPEARANCE OF COPTIC WOMEN IN EGYPT

A Coptic woman, Ranya Abd al-Masih (“servant of Christ”), 39, disappeared in Egypt on April 22, 2020, …

اترك تعليقاً

لن يتم نشر عنوان بريدك الإلكتروني. الحقول الإلزامية مشار إليها بـ *