الخميس , يونيو 11 2020

Death penalty for Tiananmen crash

Vehicles travel along Chang'an Avenue as smoke raises in front of a portrait of late Chinese Chairman Mao Zedong at Tiananmen Square in Beijing 28 October 2013The crash killed five people and left another 38 injured

Three people have been given death sentences over a fatal car crash in Tiananmen Square last October.

Chinese state media said the men were convicted at the court in Xinjiang province of a “violent terror attack”.

A car ploughed into tourists before catching fire, leaving five people dead and 38 others injured.

Reports said at least two of the men appeared to be from the Muslim Uighur population, which Beijing accuses of waging a violent separatist campaign.

Uighurs have been blamed this year for a string of attacks around China.

Uighur leaders accuse the authorities in Beijing of repression, but deny that they are co-ordinating a terrorist campaign.

The car crashed into a crowd and burst into flames, killing two tourists – one Chinese and one from the Philippines – and injuring 38 other people.

Three people who were in the car also died.

Some reports at the time quoted officials as saying it was a deliberate suicide attack.

But other police officials said the authorities had been chasing the car at the time of the crash.

Map of Tiananmen

شاهد أيضاً

COPTIC SOLIDARITY LAUNCHES URGENT CALL TO END CRIME OF FORCED DISAPPEARANCE OF COPTIC WOMEN IN EGYPT

A Coptic woman, Ranya Abd al-Masih (“servant of Christ”), 39, disappeared in Egypt on April 22, 2020, …

اترك تعليقاً

لن يتم نشر عنوان بريدك الإلكتروني. الحقول الإلزامية مشار إليها بـ *