الجمعة , يونيو 12 2020

UN calls for Israel-Gaza ceasefire

Please turn on JavaScript. Media requires JavaScript to play.

As Yolande Knell reports, rescue workers are trying to reach a body

The UN Security Council has called for a ceasefire between Israel and the Palestinians in the Gaza Strip, as Palestinian deaths continue to mount.

All 15 members approved a statement calling for de-escalation, the “restoration of calm” and a resumption of peace talks.

At least 133 Palestinians have been killed since Israel began its operation five days ago, Palestinian sources say.

Israel says it has been hit by over 40 rockets since Friday, suffering damage.

It is the first time since Israel’s offensive began that the UN Security Council has issued a statement, with members previously divided on their response.

Text of UN Security Council statement

The Security Council members expressed serious concern regarding the crisis related to Gaza and the protection and welfare of civilians on both sides.

The Security Council members called for de-escalation of the situation, restoration of calm, and reinstitution of the November 2012 ceasefire.

The Security Council members further called for respect for international humanitarian law, including the protection of civilians.

The Security Council members also expressed their support for the resumption of direct negotiations between the Israelis and Palestinians with the aim of achieving a comprehensive peace agreement based on the two-state solution.

The Palestinian death toll continued to rise on Saturday

In Israel, millions of civilians remain within range of rockets from Gaza

Israel has vowed to press on with its campaign until rocket attacks stop.

It says it is targeting militants and militant facilities, including the homes of senior operatives. “Dozens of terrorists” are among those killed, it says.

However, the UN estimated has estimated that 77% of the people killed in Gaza were civilians.



Please turn on JavaScript. Media requires JavaScript to play.

Mark Regev: “Hamas bears primary responsibility for civilian casualties in Gaza”

In the latest violence

  • Two nephews of Hamas ex-PM Ismail Haniyeh were among a group of six men killed in the Sheikh Radwan district of Gaza City, Palestinian medics said
  • A large fire broke out in a UN humanitarian relief compound in the east of Gaza City. Israel said it was caused by Hamas rockets falling short, though this has not been confirmed
  • Israel hit a residential home for disabled people in Beit Lahiya, Palestinian officials said. Two female residents were killed and four other people seriously injured, they said. Israel did not comment
  • Six Palestinians were killed in three separate attacks in northern and central Gaza, the Palestinian health ministry said
  • At least one mosque in the central Gaza Strip was bombed, according to Hamas, which said it was the first attack of its kind since Israel began its offensive. Israel’s military said the building had been used to store weapons
  • Israeli forces said they had destroyed several missiles launched by militants in flight. Hamas said it had fired four rockets at the Israeli city of Ashdod

Israel’s Iron Dome missile shield

  1. Enemy fires missile or artillery shell
  2. Projectile tracked by radar, data relayed to battle-management-and-control unit
  3. Data analysed and target co-ordinates sent to the missile firing unit
  4. Missile is fired at enemy projectile

Are you in Israel or Gaza? How has the violence affected you? You can email your experiences to [email protected], using the subject line ‘Israel Gaza’.

Or share your thoughts using the form below.

شاهد أيضاً

COPTIC SOLIDARITY LAUNCHES URGENT CALL TO END CRIME OF FORCED DISAPPEARANCE OF COPTIC WOMEN IN EGYPT

A Coptic woman, Ranya Abd al-Masih (“servant of Christ”), 39, disappeared in Egypt on April 22, 2020, …

اترك تعليقاً

لن يتم نشر عنوان بريدك الإلكتروني. الحقول الإلزامية مشار إليها بـ *