18 July 2014
Last updated at 01:42
Five schools were put in special measures by Ofsted last month
An inquiry into 25 schools in Birmingham investigated over the alleged “Trojan Horse” plot is due to publish its findings later.
Sir Ian Kershaw’s report was ordered by Birmingham City Council after claims some Muslim groups were attempting to take control of a number of schools.
It is understood to have found no evidence of a conspiracy.
However, the Guardian claims a leaked draft of a government-commissioned report made for “damning” reading.
The newspaper alleges the document, written by Peter Clarke – former head of the Metropolitan Police’s counter-terrorism unit – found evidence of a “co-ordinated, deliberate and sustained action to introduce an intolerant and aggressive Islamist ethos into some schools in the city”.
According to the Guardian, Mr Clarke unearthed a “sustained and co-ordinated agenda to impose upon children in a number of Birmingham schools the segregationist attitudes and practices of a hardline and politicised strain of Sunni Islam”.
Peter Clarke is a former deputy commissioner of the Met
The Clarke report, which was requested by former Education Secretary Michael Gove, is due to be published next week.
The Department for Education said it would not comment on leaks.
“The allegations made in relation to some schools in Birmingham are very serious and we are investigating all evidence put to us in conjunction with Ofsted and Birmingham City Council,” a spokesman said.
“Retired senior police officer Peter Clarke has been asked by the Department for Education to make a full inquiry into Birmingham schools and the background behind many of the broader allegations in the Trojan Horse letter.
“He will report back shortly and it is absolutely vital this investigation is carried out impartially, without pre-judgment.”
The city council will release details of its findings on Friday.
It is understood that while it is critical of the governance of a number of schools in the east of the city, it found no evidence of violent extremism, radicalisation or an anti-British agenda being promoted.
The council itself is thought to come in for criticism in the report for its failure to monitor and intervene at the schools involved.
Last month, Ofsted and the Education Funding Agency published their reports and five schools were placed in special measures as a result.
The schools involved have always denied any wrongdoing.
On Tuesday, the board of trustees resigned at Park View Education Trust, which has been at the centre of claims, stating they had been the victims of a “co-ordinated and vicious” attack.