الأحد , مايو 16 2021

State memorial for Hughes cancelled

A state memorial service for cricketer Phillip Hughes has been cancelled.

Australia batsman Hughes, 25, died in hospital two days after being struck by a ball in a domestic game last month.

New South Wales Premier Mike Baird said the decision followed consultation with Cricket Australia and Hughes’s family.

He added: “All parties felt that given the enormous outpouring of support at last Wednesday’s funeral, a state memorial service would no longer need to be held.”

About 5,000 people attended the service in Hughes’s home town of Macksville, New South Wales, with mourners including Australia’s Test team, coach Darren Lehmann and former players Shane Warne and Brian Lara.

“Last Wednesday’s funeral in Macksville was a wonderful service and a fitting tribute to Phillip’s life, and it was a privilege to be a part of it. It was a community event attended by thousands of people, watched live by millions of Australians and observed at a number of grounds around the country, including the Sydney Cricket Ground,” Mr Baird said.

More to follow

شاهد أيضاً

Bishop of the Southern United States of America, warns of a fake email attributed to him

Ashraf Helmey His Grace Bishop Youssef, Bishop of Texas and Southern United States, warned that …