23 December 2014
Last updated at 21:56
At least 33 people have been killed by gunmen in remote villages of India’s north-eastern Assam state, police say.
Women and children were said to be among the victims, warning that the death toll could rise further.
The authorities blame the attack on a rebel group fighting for more rights for the indigenous Bodo people.
They believe it may have been launched in revenge for the killing of two militant leaders in a security operation earlier this week.
An Assam police spokesman said the gunmen attacked the villages in Sonitpur and Kokrajhar districts late on Tuesday, the Hindustan Times reports.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi and senior Assam officials condemned the raid.
Assam has been plagued by ethnic clashes and separatist violence in recent years.
A number of rebel groups have been fighting the central authorities, demanding autonomy or independent homelands for the indigenous groups they represent.