Convicted rapist Ched Evans will not be allowed to resume his career overseas, the Ministry of Justice (MoJ) has said.
after serving half of a five-year term for raping a woman in a hotel in May 2011.
On Friday, Maltese side Hibernians said they wanted to sign the Wales international striker, 26, on a deal until the end of the season.
But an MoJ spokesperson said strict conditions imposed on sex offenders “effectively rules out working abroad”.
The spokesperson added: “We are determined to have one of the toughest regimes in the world for managing sex offenders, to stop them reoffending and to protect victims.
“Probation officers must give permission for sex offenders on licence to take up new jobs and this includes ensuring they hold regular face to face meetings – this effectively rules out working abroad.
“The offenders will also be subject to strict conditions such as exclusion zones, non-contact orders and having to attend sex offender treatment programmes.”
Clarification of the MoJ’s stance comes amid disputed reports that Evans had been offered the chance to play for Hibernians.
The Maltese club’s vice-president Stephen Vaughan said an offer had been made to the ex-Sheffield United striker, but on Saturday a spokesman for Evans denied that claim.
“There have been numerous false stories, and stories of which Ched knows nothing about, of which this is one,” Evans’s spokesman said.
Vaughan had said on Friday: “We’ve spoken to his agent and have offered a deal from now until the end of the season.”
Hibernians are 15 points clear at the top of Malta’s domestic league, having dropped only two points in 16 games.
The champions of Malta will enter next season’s Champions League at the second qualifying round.
Evans played for Sheffield United at the time of his conviction and, after his release from prison, was given permission to use the League One club’s training facilities.
after strong opposition from some supporters and club patrons.
More than 165,000 people signed a petition opposing Evans’s possible re-employment by the Yorkshire club.
Hartlepool boss Ronnie Moore stated in December
before the Football League’s bottom club
Evans maintains his innocence, and an
is under way.