الإثنين , يونيو 15 2020

Body found after men feared drowned

Brighton sea searchThe emergency services searched for the missing men until 04:30 GMT

Rescuers searching for two men feared to have drowned in severe weather in the sea off the coast of Brighton have found a body.

The men, aged 23 and 24, from Brighton, are thought to have got into difficulty at about 01:00 GMT after one tried to rescue the other.

They had been on the beach with two other men, who raised the alarm. One of them had also been in the water.

Emergency services called off their search at 04:30.

The body was recovered from Saltdean, near Brighton.

The search near the Palace Pier had been co-ordinated throughout the night by the Coastguard with two all-weather lifeboats, a rescue helicopter and two shoreline rescue teams from Shoreham and Newhaven.

Brighton sea searchThe Newhaven lifeboat was partially damaged because of the strong waves

Volunteer lifeboat crews resumed searches close to the shoreline at first light, although the helicopter crews returned to base having “exhausted all possible options”, the coastguard said.

Earlier, a coastguard spokesman said: “The conditions for searching overnight were awful – it was pitch black and the sea was extremely choppy. It was very difficult to search.

“The helicopter and the all-weather lifeboats searched the area overnight but started to stand down at about 04:30. They felt they had done all they could,” he said.

“Very sadly, nothing has been found and it is very unlikely that anything will be.

“This has turned into a recovery mission. Very sadly there is no chance of finding them alive.”

Brighton sea searchPolice said they believed the second man to have been swept out to sea had gone to the rescue of the first

A Sussex Police spokeswoman said the body, which was found by a member of the public in Saltdean at 14:25 GMT, was “probably of one of the men” who had been swept out to sea in Brighton.

She said the body was currently being recovered from the scene and formal identification was yet to take place.

شاهد أيضاً

COPTIC SOLIDARITY LAUNCHES URGENT CALL TO END CRIME OF FORCED DISAPPEARANCE OF COPTIC WOMEN IN EGYPT

A Coptic woman, Ranya Abd al-Masih (“servant of Christ”), 39, disappeared in Egypt on April 22, 2020, …