الثلاثاء , يونيو 9 2020

Bomber strikes police base in Sinai

Map of North Sinai

A suicide bomber has targeted a police barracks in Egypt’s restive Sinai peninsula, killing one civilian and injuring 24 policemen, officials say.

The attack, on Tuesday morning, was near the provincial capital, al-Arish.

The jihadist group, Islamic State-affiliated Sinai Province has claimed responsibility, Egypt’s Al-Yawm al-Sabi news website reports.

A long-running Islamist insurgency in the Sinai peninsula has increased since President Morsi’s overthrow in 2013.

Previous incidents have been blamed on the same group.

Formerly known as Ansar Beit al-Maqdis (Champions of Jerusalem), in November 2014 it pledged allegiance to Islamic State and changed its name to Sinai Province.

The official Twitter account for the group has not made any reference to the attack, however.

“The bomber drove a water tanker filled with explosives into the rear gate of the base,” a security official told AFP news agency.

“As the vehicle approached, police fired on it, detonating the explosives inside.”

Security sources who spoke to Reuters news agency said police action had prevented the bomber from entering the barracks, and that the civilian had been passing by chance when the attacker hit.

On Monday, a roadside bomb killed three Egyptian soldiers in Sinai.

At least 30 people, mostly soldiers, were killed and dozens wounded in a series of attacks in the north of the province on 30 January.

The latest attack came ahead of a major conference in Sharm el-Sheikh aimed at attracting foreign investment to the region.

شاهد أيضاً

COPTIC SOLIDARITY LAUNCHES URGENT CALL TO END CRIME OF FORCED DISAPPEARANCE OF COPTIC WOMEN IN EGYPT

A Coptic woman, Ranya Abd al-Masih (“servant of Christ”), 39, disappeared in Egypt on April 22, 2020, …