الإثنين , يونيو 15 2020

Murder arrest in missing Claudia case

Claudia Lawrence

Claudia Lawrence was 35 when she went missing six years ago

A man has been arrested on suspicion of murdering missing chef Claudia Lawrence.

The man, in his 50s, from York, is being held in police custody. Miss Lawrence’s body has not been found.

She disappeared from her house on Heworth Road, York, after leaving for work on 19 March in 2009.

Last month, detectives investigating the York University chef’s disappearance re-examined an alleyway behind her home for fresh clues.

Further searches are being conducted and are expected to continue for the next few days.

The BBC understands the man has not been arrested before.

Claudia’s family has been notified about the arrest and is being supported by trained officers, North Yorkshire Police said.

Her father Peter Lawrence said he was “encouraged” by the continued police activity relating to the disappearance.

“It is to be hoped that the matter can be resolved as soon as possible and I encourage people to continue to come forward with information to the police,” he said.

A review of the case in October 2013 led to two arrests but no-one has ever been charged.

Police searching alleyway near Claudia Lawrence's home in York

Police searched an alleyway behind Claudia Lawrence’s York home in February

A 59-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of murder last May and was later released from bail.

Another 47-year-old man was held on suspicion of perverting the course of justice last July and remains on bail while inquiries continue.

Det Supt Dai Malyn said the force “strongly advises the media and members of the public against identifying the man who has been arrested”.

“I urge everyone to show restraint and patience while we carry out these very important inquiries,” he said.

Last week, police released new CCTV footage to coincide with the sixth anniversary of Miss Lawrence’s disappearance.

شاهد أيضاً

COPTIC SOLIDARITY LAUNCHES URGENT CALL TO END CRIME OF FORCED DISAPPEARANCE OF COPTIC WOMEN IN EGYPT

A Coptic woman, Ranya Abd al-Masih (“servant of Christ”), 39, disappeared in Egypt on April 22, 2020, …