الثلاثاء , يونيو 9 2020

Team GB approve Cook Moldova switch

Aaron Cook can compete for Moldova in taekwondo after the British Olympic Association (BOA) reluctantly agreed to his request to switch nations.

Cook, 24, competed for Team GB at the 2008 Olympics, but was

overlooked for London 2012,

despite being ranked world number one at the time.

His Moldovan citizenship was funded by the country’s taekwondo president and billionaire Igor Iuzefovici.

“We are saddened by Aaron’s decision,” said BOA chief executive Bill Sweeney.

“Despite the fact that there is no legitimate case for nationality change here, the BOA cannot compel any athlete to represent the United Kingdom against his or her will.”

Cook

left the GB Taekwondo

set-up in 2011, a move he believed – and GB Taekwondo has always denied – was behind his Olympic snub.

The Dorset-born 24-year-old insisted he would

never compete for Britain again

while performance director Gary Hall and chairman Adrian Tranter, whom he held responsible, were still in charge.

The fighter instead

represented the Isle of Man

and although the BOA, UK Sport, GB Taekwondo and representatives from Cook’s team have met on several occasions, no common ground to rebuild the relationship was found.

GB Taekwondo chairman Jeremy Beard said: “We have made exhaustive efforts to engage with him and his team for some time but sadly it seems he has made the decision that his future lies elsewhere.”

Cook has no family links to Moldova but had been actively looking for another nation to represent to enable him to go to the 2016 Olympics.

Costa Rica, France and Turkey had been seen as potential destinations, though Cook insisted he would only move to another nation with no -80kg fighter to avoid depriving someone of the chance to represent their country of birth at an Olympics.


Aaron Cook knocks out Tahir Guelec at the Taekwondo World Grand Prix in Manchester

Please turn on JavaScript. Media requires JavaScript to play.

Taekwondo GP: Ferocious kick sends Aaron Cook into final

He has already received his passport for the East European state and revealed in a statement earlier this month that he felt he had

“no other option”

but to move.

One of his primary concerns was said to be the lack of clarity over selection criteria for the Rio Olympics, fearing he would again be overlooked despite being the highest ranked -80kg fighter.

It is understood an independent representative and a member of the BOA must now be part of future GB Taekwondo selection processes – but this was not enough to appease Cook, who was set to be named as Team GB’s -80kg representative at the inaugural European Games in Baku in June.

“We strongly urged Aaron to re-consider his decision and to make himself available for selection to Team GB in Baku,” added Sweeney.

The leading contenders to be the sole -80kg British fighter at the Rio Olympics are London Olympic bronze medallist Lutalo Muhammad – who is ranked world number four – and Damon Sansum, who is currently eighth in the global standings.

Cook’s first competitive fight for Moldova is expected to be at the World Championships in Chelyabinsk, Russia, in May.

شاهد أيضاً

COPTIC SOLIDARITY LAUNCHES URGENT CALL TO END CRIME OF FORCED DISAPPEARANCE OF COPTIC WOMEN IN EGYPT

A Coptic woman, Ranya Abd al-Masih (“servant of Christ”), 39, disappeared in Egypt on April 22, 2020, …