الإثنين , يونيو 8 2020

Zulu king appeals for S Africa calm

South Africa's Zulu King, Goodwill Zwelithini, pictured at a ceremony in 2008

The Zulu King has been under pressure following the attacks

Zulu King Goodwill Zwelithini has appealed for calm after recent violence against migrants in South Africa.

He has been accused of fuelling the attacks, which have killed at least seven people, after saying foreigners should “go back to their countries”.

More than 300 people have been arrested in the unrest.

Thousands packed into a stadium in the eastern city of Durban to hear King Zwelithini’s address. He says his comments were distorted by the media.

In King Zwelithini’s speech, he said it was not fair to blame the violence on one individual, pointing out that there had been several previous outbreaks of xenophobic violence in South Africa.

He added that the South African Human Rights Commission should investigate the hate speech charges against him without hindrance.

Among the latest arrests were three men detained in connection with the murder of a Mozambican national in Alexandra, a township in Johannesburg.

South African photojournalist James Outway witnessed Emmanuel Sithole being stabbed to death in broad daylight and has spoken to the BBC about what he saw:

Except for Mr Sithole, those killed have been in Durban, the biggest city in South Africa’s KwaZulu-Natal province. They are an Ethiopian, a Mozambican, someone who is believed to be Zimbabwean and three South Africans.

In other developments:

  • Students at the University of Johannesburg have gathered to protest against the attacks
  • South African Football Association announces two friendly matches against neighbouring countries to counteract the hostility towards migrants
  • Zimbabwe’s government has sent buses to repatriate its citizens
A local man gestures with a stick outside a hostel during the anti-immigrant violence in Johannesburg, April 17, 2015

Some South African accuse foreigners of taking their jobs

Foreign nationals carry their belongings before boarding a bus back to Zimbabwe from a temporary refugee camp in Chatsworth, south of Durban on April 19, 2015.

In response, some foreign nationals, like these Zimbabweans, have fled home

South African President Jacob Zuma has condemned the attacks, saying they “go against everything we believe in”.

With the unemployment rate at 24%, many South Africans accuse foreign nationals of taking jobs from locals.

Thousands of foreigners have fled their homes to shelter in makeshift camps.

Official data suggests there are about two million foreign nationals in South Africa, but some estimates put the number much higher.

شاهد أيضاً

COPTIC SOLIDARITY LAUNCHES URGENT CALL TO END CRIME OF FORCED DISAPPEARANCE OF COPTIC WOMEN IN EGYPT

A Coptic woman, Ranya Abd al-Masih (“servant of Christ”), 39, disappeared in Egypt on April 22, 2020, …