الأربعاء , يونيو 17 2020

Saudi Arabia ends Yemen air campaign

Breaking news

A Saudi Arabia-led coalition has ended its bombing campaign against rebels in Yemen, Saudi state television has said.

The coalition’s Decisive Storm campaign had achieved its military goals, the report said.

A new operation would be called Restoring Hope, focusing on a political solution in Yemen and on security and counter-terrorism at home.

The coalition had carried out almost a month of air strikes to try to halt the advance of Houthi rebels.

Fresh air strikes had been carried out on Tuesday, with almost 30 people reported killed, many of them civilians.

At least 20 died when aircraft bombed a convoy of Houthi rebel fighters on a bridge in the western city of Ibb, residents and security sources said.

Nine others were killed in the northern city of Haradh, near the Saudi border.

Yemen has been in chaos since the Zaidi Shia rebels known as Houthis, backed by army units supporting ousted former President Ali Abdullah Saleh, took control of the capital, Sanaa, in January and placed President Abdrabbuh Mansour Hadi under house arrest.

Mr Hadi escaped and took refuge in Aden in February, but left the country at the end of March when the Houthis reached the outskirts of the southern port city.

The coalition air strikes have largely failed to halt the rebel advance.

شاهد أيضاً

COPTIC SOLIDARITY LAUNCHES URGENT CALL TO END CRIME OF FORCED DISAPPEARANCE OF COPTIC WOMEN IN EGYPT

A Coptic woman, Ranya Abd al-Masih (“servant of Christ”), 39, disappeared in Egypt on April 22, 2020, …