The majority of the 38 people killed in the attack on a Tunisian beach resort were British, the country’s prime minister Habib Essid has said.
Islamic State extremists have said they carried out the attack.
At least five Britons have been confirmed dead by the Foreign Office, which warned the death toll could rise.
Thomson and First Choice said their customers were among “a number of fatalities”, and they had sent 10 planes to bring home 2,500 tourists.
The first began to arrive back in the UK on Saturday morning.
An emergency Cobra meeting chaired by the prime minister is due to take place later to look at the UK’s response to the attacks.
‘Mum on stretcher’
Tunisians, Britons, Germans, Belgians, French and at least one Irish citizen were among those killed when a gunman opened fire on tourists. Thirty-six others were wounded.
The “majority” of the dead were British, Mr Essid said in a press conference, hours after Defence Secretary Philip Hammond said a “high proportion” of casualties would have been British.
None of the Britons’ identities have been released, but Irish national Lorna Carty, who was in her 50s, was confirmed dead by the Irish government.
A gunman was shot dead by police.
Jeremy Moore, who landed at Gatwick on Saturday, said he was “pleased to get home”. He also said passengers on his plane were clapping and cheering as it took off and landed.
A number of Britons have issued desperate pleas for information about relatives who have not made contact since the attack.
Conor Fulford, from Tamworth in Staffordshire, said his mother, Suzanne Fulford, was missing but he thought he had seen her on a stretcher during a television report.
“My sisters back home, they’re convinced,” he said. “But again that’s not 100%. In this sort of situation you’re just clutching at straws aren’t you. I’m just trying to get on the internet and just trying to get people in and around the area to try… and find where she is.”
Others described the moment of the attack.
Steve Johnson, told the BBC: “We were just lying on the beach as usual and… we heard what we thought at first was fireworks.
“But it was soon pretty obvious… that it was firearms that were being discharged and people screaming and starting to run.”
A couple named only as Nikki and Andy, from Norfolk, fled and hid under a table in an office, and then in a laundrette. The couple said they just wanted to get home.
“[We] keep reliving it and even now if someone shouted run, I’m constantly looking around thinking where would we go.”
‘He took a bullet for me’
One survivor told the BBC how her fiance Matthew James, a Welsh tourist, had been shot three times as he used his body as a shield.
“He took a bullet for me,” said Saera Wilson. “I owe him my life because he threw himself in front of me when the shooting started.
“It was the bravest thing I’ve ever known. But I just had to leave him under the sunbed because the shooting just kept on coming.”
Thomson and First Choice said the two hotels where the attacks took place – the Hotel Riu Imperial Marhaba and the Bellevue – were part of their programme.
They said 10 Thomson Airways flights were travelling to Tunisia to repatriate 2,500 Thomson and First Choice customers, with the first flight due to have arrived in Manchester at about 04:30 BST.
They said a special assistance team was on its way to Tunisia and anyone with concerns about friends and families should call 0800 0885372.
The companies also said they were cancelling all Thomson and First Choice holidays to Tunisia for the next week.
The Foreign Office said the British embassy in Tunis was sending a crisis team to the area.
“Any British nationals in these hotels or nearby should remain indoors, and contact their tour operator and the Foreign Office,” the FCO said in its updated travel advice.
Mr Cameron has pledged government “help and support” for the victims, with Saturday’s Cobra meeting expected to discuss the practicalities.
It is anticipated that there will also be discussion on whether travel advice on Tunisia – which discourages all but essential visits to some parts of the country – needs to be strengthened further.
‘Won’t be beaten’
Some Britons said they would stay on.
Sally Groome, from Beverley near Hull, said: “[We are] scared to death but staying. We won’t be beaten. We’ve had reassurance that we are in a very safe place and we feel confident that it can’t happen again. It won’t happen again, it was a one off.”
Security officials said the attacker had posed as a swimmer but was carrying a rifle under a parasol. He started shooting on the beach before entering the Hotel Riu Imperial Marhaba, continuing to shoot as he walked past the pool.
He was then shot dead in an exchange of fire with police, officials said. They said he was a student not previously known to authorities.
Social media accounts close to IS showed pictures of the man they said had carried out the killings, while video footage appeared to show the body of a suspected gunman lying in a street.
Local media reported a second suspected attacker had been arrested, but this has not been confirmed.
Day of attacks
The shooting in Tunisia came on Friday, the same day as:
- A man is decapitated and several others injured at a factory in France
- A deadly attack on a Shia mosque in Kuwait
Who could be behind Tunisia attack?
Are you in Tunisia? Do you have friends or family who are in the area? Are you affected by the issues raised in this story? Please emailwith your experiences.
If you would be happy to speak further to a BBC journalist, please include a contact telephone number. You can also tweet your stories to @BBC_HaveYourSay or text 61124. If you are outside the UK, send them to the international number +44 7624 800 100.
Or WhatsApp us on +44 7525 900971
Read our terms and conditions.