السبت , مايو 15 2021

Memorials plan for UK terror victims

Memorial on beach in Sousse

A service will be held in the autumn dedicated to those caught up in the Tunisia beach attack

The government is to fund two permanent memorials to UK victims of terror, PM David Cameron has announced.

One will honour those who died in the Tunisia beach attack, and a second will commemorate Britons killed in other terror attacks overseas.

Families of the 30 British victims of the attack in Sousse will be consulted on where their memorial will be.

A service will also be held in the autumn, dedicated to those caught up in the attack which killed 38.

On Saturday, the final five bodies of British victims were returned to the UK.

Families consultation

“Those who lost their lives in Tunisia last week were innocent victims of a brutal terrorist atrocity,” Mr Cameron said.

“It is right that we mark and commemorate them and others murdered by terrorists overseas appropriately and support the loved ones they have left behind in every way we can.”

British toll

Three members of the same family and a husband who shielded his wife: What we know about the British victims

Foreign Office minister Tobias Ellwood, who has been working with families of the Tunisia gun attack victims, said the memorial could be in the north, where many of the victims were from.

The families will be consulted over the design, he said.

“This memorial will be for the families, so we want to talk to them about our plans to determine what they feel is most appropriate,” he added.

‘Never forgotten’

Mr Ellwood, who lost his brother Jonathan in the 2002 Bali bombing, has long campaigned for a single memorial to all victims of terror overseas.

“Sadly, we live in very difficult and dangerous times. We have to recognise that there are many victims of terrorism who do not have a grave, whose families don’t have a place where they can lay flowers and grieve in the normal way,” he said.

“It is therefore appropriate that we have a national memorial for those caught up in terrorism abroad. These people must never be forgotten.”


The bodies of all the British victims have now been returned to the UK

The five Britons repatriated on Saturday were:

  • Lisa Burbidge, in her 60s, from Whickham, Gateshead
  • Stuart Cullen, 52, from Lowestoft
  • Christopher Dyer, 32, from Watford
  • Bruce Wilkinson, 72, from Goole, East Riding
  • Claire Windass, 54, from Hull

The bodies arrived on an RAF C-17 aircraft at RAF Brize Norton in Oxfordshire.

Tunisia has now declared a state of emergency, having already tightened security.

Authorities in the country have identified 28-year-old Tunisian student Seifeddine Rezgui as the gunman who carried out the attack.

They are also holding eight suspects in custody on suspicion of being directly linked to the attack, which jihadist group Islamic State has claimed. Four others who were held have been released.

Background and analysis

شاهد أيضاً

Bishop of the Southern United States of America, warns of a fake email attributed to him

Ashraf Helmey His Grace Bishop Youssef, Bishop of Texas and Southern United States, warned that …