الإثنين , مايو 24 2021

UN declares Yemen humanitarian pause

A nurse attends to a child in the intensive care unit of a government hospital in Sanaa, Yemen, June 24, 2015.

The UN says 80% of Yemen’s 25m people need some form of humanitarian aid

The United Nations says a humanitarian ceasefire will be introduced in Yemen on Friday and will last until the end of the Islamic holy month of Ramadan.

More than 3,000 people have been killed since a Saudi-led coalition began an air campaign in March to drive back Houthi rebels and restore the government.

Aid agencies say a blockade on Yemen means it is facing a humanitarian disaster.

Ramadan is expected to end on 17 July.

UN spokesman Stephane Dujarric said: “It is imperative and urgent that humanitarian aid can reach all vulnerable people of Yemen unimpeded and through an unconditional humanitarian pause.”

The pause will come into effect at 23:59 local time (20:59 GMT) on Friday.


The UN says little of the promised financial aid for Yemen has materialised

On Tuesday, the UN announced that at least 1,528 civilians were among the 3,000 dead.

Another one million civilians have been displaced by the conflict and more than 80% of Yemen’s 25 million people now need some form of humanitarian aid.

Charities say a lack of fuel in Yemen is making it difficult to reach those in need and to provide adequate care in hospitals.

The coalition allowed a five-day humanitarian ceasefire in May, but much of the aid promised to those in need has failed to materialise.

The UN said that it had received only 13% of the $1.6bn (£1bn) needed for its aid operation in Yemen since launching an appeal last month.

Saudi Arabia has pledged $274m, but none of the money has yet materialised.

شاهد أيضاً

Bishop of the Southern United States of America, warns of a fake email attributed to him

Ashraf Helmey His Grace Bishop Youssef, Bishop of Texas and Southern United States, warned that …