الأحد , يونيو 14 2020

Suruc bomber was 'Turkish student'

Victims of Suruc attack

The faces of some of the victims of the bomb blast in Suruc

The identity of the suicide bomber who killed 32 youth activists in the Turkish town of Suruc has been been confirmed, government officials say.

DNA tests revealed the attacker was a 20-year-old Turkish student, named by local media as Seyh Abdurrahman Alagoz.

He came from the south-eastern province of Adiyaman and was reportedly linked to Islamic State (IS) militants.

Meanwhile, two Turkish police officers have been found dead in the town of Ceylanpinar near the Syrian border.

The officers were found with bullet wounds in the house they shared in the town, which is in the same province as Suruc.


The two bodies were found close to where 32 people were killed in Monday’s bomb blast

The outlawed Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK) has claimed responsibility for the killings, saying it was in revenge for the massacre in Suruc and accusing the police officers of collaborating with IS.

At least one of the officers worked for an anti-terrorism task force, the AA news agency said.

Regional governor Izzetin Kucuk earlier said it was not yet clear “if there is a terrorist link”.

‘He went abroad’

Monday’s suicide bombing claimed 32 lives and injured 100 others, making it one of the deadliest attacks in Turkey in recent years.

The activists were mainly university students, who were holding a news conference when an explosion ripped through the Amara Cultural Centre.

They had been planning to travel to Syria to help rebuild the town of Kobane. The youngest victim was Okan Pirinc, who was 18, according to the Turkish media.


Security was tight in Suruc on Tuesday as the bodies of the victims were carried through


There were protests in Istanbul over the government’s handling of the threat from IS

Seyh Abdurrahman Alagoz’s mother told the newspaper Radikal (in Turkish), that her son had gone “abroad” six months ago and returned 10 days ago.

A senior Turkish official told Reuters that he believed the bomber, who he did not name, had travelled to Syria last year with the help of a group linked to IS militants.

There were rallies in cities across the country on Tuesday, with people condemning the attack and protesting at the government’s policies on Syria.

Many feel Ankara has not done enough to combat the threat of Islamic State militants.

But Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu said the country’s leaders were committed to beating the group.

In a tweet, using the Arabic acronym for IS, he said: “I declare it to our esteemed nation and the entire world once again: Daesh and similar terrorist organisations will never achieve their target.”

He is due to chair a cabinet meeting on Wednesday aimed at improving security on Turkey’s border with Syria.

شاهد أيضاً

COPTIC SOLIDARITY LAUNCHES URGENT CALL TO END CRIME OF FORCED DISAPPEARANCE OF COPTIC WOMEN IN EGYPT

A Coptic woman, Ranya Abd al-Masih (“servant of Christ”), 39, disappeared in Egypt on April 22, 2020, …