الأحد , يونيو 14 2020

Iraqi Kurds urge PKK to quit region

A PKK fighter inspects a crater reportedly caused by a Turkish air strike in the Qandil mountain 29.07.2015

The PKK has long had a presence in northern Iraq

Turkish Kurd separatists must withdraw from Iraqi Kurdistan to prevent civilians being killed in Turkish air strikes, the region’s authorities say.

The call follows reports that civilians had been killed in Turkish raids on PKK targets which resumed a week ago.

Turkey’s official news agency says about 260 Kurdish fighters have been killed in strikes in northern Iraq and Turkey itself since then.

The PKK has not released any casualty figures.

Turkey has carried out hundreds of raids on the rebel group’s bases on both sides of the Iraq-Turkey border.

Explainer: Turkey v Islamic State v the Kurds

At the same time, it is bombing Islamic State militants in Syria in an effort to push them back from Turkey’s borders. Turkey had not previously been involved in fighting in Syria’s conflict.

‘Keep battlefield away’

Further Turkish air raids were reported overnight, this time in the Rawanduz area east of Erbil, capital of Iraq’s Kurdish region.

At least six people were killed and several more wounded in the town of Zarkel, local officials said. They reportedly included at least two women.

An Iraq-based PKK activist told Associated Press that at least six homes were destroyed and eight civilians were killed.

“We condemn this bombardment that led to the martyrdom of people from the Kurdistan region and call on Turkey not to bombard civilians again,” Iraqi Kurdish President Massoud Barzani said in a statement.


The past week has seen a series of deadly attacks inside Turkey blamed on the PKK

Urging the PKK to withdraw its fighters from the region, he said the separatists “must keep the battlefield away from the Kurdistan region in order for civilians not to become victims of this war”.

The statement also called on the Turkish government and the PKK to resume peace talks.

The strikes against PKK camps in northern Iraq, which began last week, were the first since March 2013, when a ceasefire was called.

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said last week that it was “not possible to continue the peace process with those who threaten our national unity and brotherhood”.

Turkey and a number of Western countries regard the PKK as a terrorist organisation.

شاهد أيضاً

COPTIC SOLIDARITY LAUNCHES URGENT CALL TO END CRIME OF FORCED DISAPPEARANCE OF COPTIC WOMEN IN EGYPT

A Coptic woman, Ranya Abd al-Masih (“servant of Christ”), 39, disappeared in Egypt on April 22, 2020, …