Britons still stranded in Sharm el-Sheikh have been told they may have to extend their stays by several days.
The government said only a limited number of flights were able to leave the Red Sea resort each day.
The costs of extending holidays are expected to be covered by tour operators and airlines, it added.
All UK-bound flights from Sharm el-Sheikh were halted on Wednesday amid fears that last Saturday’s plane crash in Egypt was caused by a bomb.
An Airbus A321, operated by Russian airline Metrojet, was flying from Sharm el-Sheikh to St Petersburg when it came down in Sinai, killing all 224 people on board. Most of the victims were Russian.
About 3,300 tourists have returned so far to the UK, but thousands of people remain stranded in the Egyptian resort.
Easyjet said it could take between three and four days to get all its customers back to the UK, while one British official quoted by Reuters news agency said it could take up to 10 days to get all Britons out.
Five airlines – Monarch, Thomas Cook, Thomson, Easyjet and British Airways – flew 1,945 Britons back to the UK on nine flights on Saturday.
Read more on this story
“We are working closely with the Egyptian authorities, UK airlines and tour operators to have passengers on flights and returned to the UK as soon as possible,” a government spokesman said in a statement.
Please include a contact number if you are willing to speak to a BBC journalist. You can also contact us in the following ways: